Feeling, Living

2016 One Little Word: Joy

January 27, 2016

joy_beachquote

Joy is taking up space in my life as a direct and equal balance to the grief I experienced in 2015. Both grief and joy seem to hang hand-in-hand, clearing the haze, making things crisper, bringing it all into focus.

Joy is in the deep satisfaction I feel climbing outside, the way my body relaxes as I stare into a camp fire, the longing I have for H when he’s at work, and the crushing awareness that this is all temporary. It’s in the connections I have with my family and friends, the privileged of safety and security, the sense of trust and adventure.

It’s in the deep and abiding gratitude for the life I’m living.

Naming this as Joy is a way to capture it, cultivate it, invite it in – the laughter, the happiness, the love, and the vulnerability that is leaning into the good.

{This year, I’m writing a weekly Joy List}

• Reply Jill Salahub January 27, 2016 at 9:56 am

Wait, I want your word. Can I change mine? 😉

• Reply jtao21 January 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I think you can have two!

• Reply Renee January 27, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Beautiful. 🙂 I have a fondness for Joy as it’s also my mother’s name, and someday if I have a little girl, it will be her middle. I also feel like I’m just beginning the New Year – I honestly have no idea where the rest of January went, but I’m finally coming out of the haze. Today I’m designing my tattoo, I just ordered something online for a new hobby I’m learning, and my body finally feels healthy after a bout of sickness a couple weeks ago and getting back into yoga. ‘Trust’ is working out beautifully so far here. I’m seeing it in action where I didn’t even realize I needed it – and then what was the first video in the 30-day yoga camp? Trust. Of course. 🙂 xo

• Reply jtao21 January 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Ah, such serendipity! This year was off to a very mucky start with Mercury retro and all that kind of crap… I think it’s perfect to call this week coming the new New Year. Love that Trust is working for you and love that Joy is already tied to your life. Love that. Happy tattooing!

• Reply Lindsey January 27, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Yes. This. xox

• Reply jtao21 January 29, 2016 at 12:04 pm

xo oh i know you get it 🙂

• Reply Elisabeth costa January 28, 2016 at 5:51 am

Beautifully written and love how you’ve captured what the meaning of joy is for you.

• Reply jtao21 January 29, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Thank you!

• Reply As Slowly As You Need – Allowing Myself February 1, 2016 at 12:52 pm

[…] What if each morning we decided to allow more joy? […]

• Reply Allowing Myself February 15, 2016 at 5:47 pm

[…] to me, or worse, I brush them off as being “stupid”. This is partially why I picked joy as my word this year – to help me step right up and into life’s simple […]